Wednesday, March 4

Stanza: Free eReader for iPhone/iPod Touch

Picture 5 crop.png

This app alone is worth plunking down the cash to get an iPod Touch. And the best part is the freeness. There are other eReading apps in the iTunes store, but this one is the one to beat - and it's the free one. Not only is it free, but from within you can navigate to several different directories of free eBooks (mostly classics, but not all) and you can also purchase new releases from Fictionwise from right inside the app.

Below is a screenshot of the reading screen:


Picture 2.png

Cool thing about the reading screen is it is completely customizable. You can change the font, font size, font color, background color, line spacing, etc., to find the most comfortable way to read. Page turns happen with a tap and you can page forward or back, you can even designate which side of the screen, when tapped, takes you in which direction.

As an avid reader, I was an eReader skeptic. This app has changed all that. I can carry around a library of books on my iPod Touch, sure, but if I couldn't get comfortable with the read, then what good does it do? But reading from this app on the iPod is very comfortable, you forget all about the novelty of it in a few minutes. Plus you can comfortably read with one hand in a dark room, which comes in handy when my son is asleep on my lap.

So how does it compare to Amazon's Kindle? Well, I haven't used a Kindle - and won't. As I said in an earlier post. Why would I pay $359.00 for a dedicated eReader which boasts "16 shades of grey," and doesn't fit in my pants pocket, when I can buy an 8GB iPod Touch for $229 and have not just an eReader, but a music player, movie player, gaming device, etc. - it doesn't make sense. Plus there's a separate app for reading kindle formated books on the iPod as well.

If you're a reader like me, and you're on the fence about an iPod Touch, this should push you over the edge.

Here's the AppVee Reveiew: