Saturday, September 27

Paul Newman: Celebrity Worth Celebrating

"He was smilin'. You know, that ole Luke Smile.'


The first time I saw Paul Newman was in The Sting. My dad and I watched it together one Sunday afternoon when I was about 7 or 8 years old. A few Sundays later, we watched Cool Hand Luke. Saying these films had an impact on me is an understatement. I wanted to be Paul Newman. And if I'm honest, I still do.

I've seen all of Newman's films save a couple, (still haven't gotten around to The Silver Chalice), and I'm never checked my watch while he's on screen. I still find him electric.

Though I can't ever say who my favorite actor of all time is, I would say Newman is the closest to being just that.

Of all the actors who represented The New Men (Brando, Dean, Cliff, Newman, etc.) none of them were as consistent, revealing, charming, and beloved.

Even though many may think Newman never quite hit the notes Brando did, I think, even if I don't necessarily agree with that assertion, that Newman showed us what an exceptionally good-looking man, with exceptional acting chops could do with dedication, hard work, personal stability, and a humble approach to life with a low center of gravity. Most of our movie stars go the other way.

A contemporary of Brando, comparisons abound. But Newman was criticized as not being quite the talent Brando was, and not quite as good looking as Brando was. But, ladies and gentlemen, they are two different types of actors, and VERY different types of men. But who else can you compare Newman with other than Brando? Who else has left a mark so deep, wide, and enduring on American Film. Who else, at 83, was still a relevant force in cinema? And Newman never, ever, went anywhere. There was no flame-out, or mini-retirement, or comeback. From 1954 to 2006 he made roughly and movie a year.

And out of those movies, at least 10 are certified classics of American cinema.

  1. The Hustler
  2. Hud
  3. Sweet Bird Of Youth
  4. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  5. The Long Hot Summer
  6. Cool Hand Luke
  7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  8. The Sting
  9. The Verdict
  10. Absence of Malice
  11. The Color of Money
  12. Nobody's Fool

I listed 12 because some may disagree with one or two.

The point remains: Who compares?

In addition to being a cinematic national treasure, Newman was also one of our greatest philanthropists. His charity work is the stuff of legend.

We've lost one of our greatest citizens. A role model for all who cared to look and pay attention.

Paul, you'll be missed deeply.

__