Tuesday, July 29

How to Look Like a Responsible Adult with Help from the Internet

If you're tired of forgetting things, then the internet can help you remember. Even if you don't have mobile web access. And it's slick!

This is what I've been doing for the past few days.

First of all I'll give you my device breakdown.

RAZR cell phone (Verizon)
iPod Touch 16GB
MacBook Pro
MacPro (Work)
Dell something (Home)

So, I can get to the internet from all of these devices but the phone. The downside is I have to find some WiFi to do it. I don't need WiFi for a cellphone. But I don't get web access from it.

I list my number of devices so you can understand my need for synchronicity. The way to get that is through the web, but if I can't to the web when I'm standing in the middle of the grocery store, what good is all the stuff online going to do me?

Well, I have solved the problem - and then some.


Two free services Jott and Sandy, provide me with exactly what I was looking for.

Let me give you and example:

I'm at the bookstore and I know there are a couple of books that friends have recommended to me, but I wrote them down in a note pad that I left on the dresser at home. So I wonder around, buy a magazine and go home.

Ever happened to you?

Now, let's look at another example.

I'm at the bookstore and I know there are a couple of books that friends have recommended to me, so I send a text message "lookup books" to the Sandy email address.
A moment later I get a text message that reads:
(Re: lookup books)
I looked up "books" and found:

#1 Books
*Anathem - Neal Stephenson
*Bloods a Rover - James Ellroy
*Motherless Brooklynn - ?
That was a text from Sandy. Neat-O.

Now let's say I'm driving down the road and I suddenly remember that I'm supposed to call my mother tomorrow and wish her a Happy Birthday. I don't trust myself to remember this at the proper time by sheer brain power.

So I hit speed dial on my cell phone and call Jott. Here's the way the call goes:
Jott: Who do you want to Jott?
Me: Sandy.
Jott: Sandy. Is this correct?
Me: Yes.
Jott: BEEP!
Me: Remember to wish mom happy birthday tomorrow at ten a-m tag with annually
Jott: Got it!
So here's what happens behind the scenes:

Jott records and transcribes my call. The text of what I said is sent to Sandy. Sandy sets up a reminder to text (or email) me tomorrow at 10 AM to wish my mom a happy birthday. And by saying "tag with annually" Sandy has set this to happen every year at the same time.

So the next day I'm at my desk and get a text message that says, "Wish mom a happy birthday."

And I do.

These are just two examples. Both of these services have full web interfaces so you can tweak and refine as you see fit.

And the best part: both are absolutely FREE.

Check them out here:

Jott

Sandy

__